Families, friends, and organizations can request tours of the Stanley’s collection. Tours typically last one hour and occur during normal museum hours. Docents or museum staff lead all scheduled tours. If you would prefer a self-guided tour, you can find guides online and in our lobby.
Minimum tour size is 7 people. If your group is larger than 10, it will be divided into smaller groups. We recommend requesting a tour at least one month in advance. All tours begin on the hour.
When requesting a tour, you can choose from one of the following themes:
- Collection Highlights: See key works on view.
- African Art: Learn about the rich artistic traditional and cultures of Western Africa.
- Collectors & Collecting: Curious about how and why Stanley’s collection came to be? Find out in this tour.
- Color Tour – Red: Color tours focus on the significance of particular hues across time and cultures. The featured color changes periodically.
- Social Justice: Artists, activists, and equity
- The Iowa Tour: This tour focuses on how the experience of living in the State of Iowa intersects with teaching, research, and artmaking at the University of Iowa and in the Stanley's collection.
Please contact Joshua Siefken, associate curator of education, with any questions.